Thumbnail image from Pixabay
By Rebecca Fending
Not only is cabbage the typical dish to serve on New Year’s Day for good luck, but it’s also in season in Florida during this month. Although this dish might not be incredibly healthy, it’s sure to get your year started the right way. This produces great leftovers, as well, that get better as they sit. Store refrigerated up to four days, or freeze as a make-ahead meal for two months.
Ingredients for Fried Cabbage:
- 12 oz. Bacon
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar
- Chop and add bacon to a large pot over medium heat. Cook until your desired crispiness. Remove bacon from pot and set aside.
- In the remaining bacon fat, add chopped cabbage and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Chop and add onion to the pot, continue cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add Worcestershire, vinegar, garlic and brown sugar. Combine all ingredients and let cook for 25 minutes or until cabbage is soft. Stir frequently.
- Once cabbage is cooked, add bacon and one cup cheddar to the cabbage mixture, reserving some to sprinkle on top of each serving. Top with additional cheddar and enjoy!